// //

Friday, March 16, 2012

I Played Magic Today

Today I met with the guy from math class I've written about the past few days.

The one who wanted to ''do magic'' and ''play'' with me.

I arrived at math class a bit late today, as I talked with XR for a bit, and managed to leave too late to get to class in time. Luckily the teacher hadn't taken attendance yet when i got to class, so I got counted as present when he called names. He talked some about our last test and then proceeded to show how to solve the tasks that were on it. During a break between the math classes, I talked to the guy who wanted to play magic with me, and agreed to play after school was over.

I felt like the class lasted for a lot longer than usual after that. All I could thing of was that I wanted to play, and I ended up looking up different types of magic cards online, while pretending to work with something else. When class ended, I went with the MTG guy to find a place to play. We went down to my locker and I put my books in the locker and fetched my cards.

We walked to a tram and took it to a hall near the train station, where we went into a store that often hosts different tournaments, asked for permission to loan a table and some chairs (which we got), and set us up just outside the store. I found my deck (wrapped in a plastic bag), a writing block and a pencil, and wrote down my life points. He took up a box full of his cards, and took out a deck he called his best from it. One of his friends, that he had been on phone with a bit earlier, joined us about then. he sat down and played along with us for a match.

I had a hunch that I wasn't going to win, since I only had played in elementary school a long time ago, but I didn't count on losing so badly as I did. His deck was set together with a clear goal and strategy, packed with new cards and things I didn't know of, since they had been introduced after I started playing. Mine was full of old cards, with many thoughts and strategies going at once, all colliding and messing each other up. His friend used a deck that was end-game focused, but he appeared to have too many lands, as he showed his hand to us during the game, and proved that he had 100% lands on it.

This text could use a kitten.


During our game, some english-speaking guy they seemed to know sat down with us, and said that he recognized some of my cards. By my guess he had played for a while, but I didn't really speak that much with him, so I didn't get to know him so well. I'm not too good with english dialects and accents, so I was unable to place his accent on a world map. I don't know if he was english or not, but he seemed to speak the language fluently at least.

When we finished the match we had going, the english speaking guy loaned a deck from the guy from math class, and joined the follow-up match. I lost even worse then, and only managed to put out one mountain card to get the mana required to play other cards from. I only played two card that round I think, but I opened up rather heavily with my Crack The Earth card, forcing all players to move a permanent to their graveyards. I discarded the only other card I had on the map that wasn't a mountain, and that's about as far as I got in competing.

I pulled no lands from my deck after that, so I couldn't do anything. I was stuck with pulling cards each time it was my turn, discarding straight after because I had too many cards on my hand, while the other three players had a ton of things they could attack with and kill me with. I was basically a sitting duck the entire game, and they could all have easily killed me at any time. Luckily they didn't have so much competitive instincts and let me continue to play, even though I couldn't really do anything.

The match was abruptly stopped, though, when the guy from math class and his friend found out their train left in not too long, and we had to quickly pack our stuff together and leave. I walked with a friend of mine who had noticed me playing and come to socialize, to my bus before taking the bus home. I think he was urging me to do something with him, as he kept bringing up him having nothing to do in the weekend, and that he had no plans, but I couldn't really invite him to do anything. Both because my mother lives in a different bus zone than he most likely got a ticket for and because I was really tired and anxious to get home to relax, as it's friday today and end of the school-week.

In your face, social life!


So in summary we played for about one hour or so I guess, and managed to play one and a half match. It was fun, and I felt that I became a bit better friends with both the guy from math class and the other people that were there. I also think that I should make another new deck, and try to limit myself a lot more than what I did when I made the first one. I don't know what colors I'm going to use, but I'm most likely going to pop the deck I already got if I feel like using any of the colors in it. I really need a better deck the next time I play with anyone, as I feel I kind of messed things up a bit today by losing so badly and not proving myself to be any kind of challenge.

So that's what happened with the entire magic thing, and I'll post more about it if it becomes relevant. I'm most likely going to blog some more this weekend, since I don't have any other plans at the moment. Maybe I'll play a bit minecraft too, but I think i'll just do what I feel like doing and see what happens. Something I'm most likely going to do though, is make a new magic deck, since I don't want to be the guy that people needs to play nicely against against. I want to prove that I can be a challenge.


---


Bonus fact: I found out I have a card, Skull Clamp, that's banned from tournaments, and that many people also ban it from casual play. I don't think I'll add it to my new deck because of this, even though it's kind of a good card.

No comments:

Post a Comment