// //

Monday, March 19, 2012

I Ordered An Ocarina!

Yesterday was sunday. Not much happened then. I got visited by some relatives(-ish) and played some minecraft, both multiplayer and single-player. I've built myself a small house on the server I'm playing on, dug a bunch of tunnels beneath it, carves a big cube in the tunnels (27x27x17 I think the size was) and bought the land the house stands on stands on. But that's in no way related to this post, I just felt like relaying what I spent the day on. This post is about that I ordered an ocarina yesterday!

One of these bad-asses

That's right, an ocarina, the instrument that, despite being one of the world's oldest instruments with a 12 000 year old history, is best known from the Legend of Zelda video game series. When you first read ocarina, I bet you immediatily thought of the ocarina of time, or wondered what the hell an ocarina is. I find it funny that ocarinas have just kind of ''existed'' with barely anyone knowing about them until a video game decided to feature one.

Anyways, the ocarina I've ordered costed a total of $118.95, much due to 1) The shipping is expensive across the ocean between me and The US, where I ordered it from. 2) It was an expensive ocarina even before that. 3) The ocarina is hand-crafted, so it costs a bit more. 4) It's a goddamn ocarina. Not so many people make those on a professional basis.

But those about $120 are a relatively small part of my money, since my father finally paid me for painting the house during summer vacation not too long ago, more than a half year after the job was done. I'm trying not to spend too much, but I feel like buying an ocarina is the correct thing to do since I've started taking a greater interest in music.


A proper interest. Not the ''learn Wonderwall to get laid'' kind of interest.


I believe that a ''learn to play ocarina'' thing is going to be in the box with the ocarina, so that I can quickly start playing. But if it's not I'll just have to teach myself how to play or look it up on the web. There should be plenty of Zelda-heads who post tutorials on song of time or similar on various forums, and even if there isn't, there's always some aspiring youtuber that wants another view to his/her ocarina tutorial channel.

I hope that the ocarina arrives soon, since I really want to start playing. I know how to play keyboard/piano and ukulele already (and I'm kind of good at it), but I want to learn how to play another instrument. I've tried to learn how to play guitar, but I didn't really feel anything when I played on one of the many accoustic guitars I have available.

My father isn't the greatest musician, though he plays some guitar, and my mother isn't that much of a musician either, though I think she can play some piano. I don't think either of them have ever been in a band or anything, but my grandfather owned an accordian and was in a quartet, so I guess there might be atleast some genetics involved in me. On the other hand, I didn't start liking to play instruments until high school, so it's not something that's been boiling up in me either. I guess it's a kind of mix between environment and genetics that I've taken an interest.

You most likely didn't care about this and you're more interested in the ocarina I ordered. Fair enough, since this post is supposed to be about that, so I think some more details on how it looks will be appropriate. It's a dragon tooth. Really. No, seriousily, that's what it's called. It's curved, sharp, not very bloated and black with a colorful pattern. I guess since this is the internet, I could make it a lot simpler for both of us by posting a picture of it to show you, instead of trying to describe it to you in a way that you'd most likely misunderstand.


But where's the fun in that?

As stated I hope it arrives in mail ASAP, but I chose the cheapest shipping alternative, so I guess I'll have to wait a minimum of 2 weeks before it shows up. I'll most likely have forgotten about the ocarina by that time, but I think that's most likely better. I like giving myself presents, and I think more people should do that, because it's a way of giving yourself a moral-up every now and then. It's nothing big, but the happiness of finding a dollar you'd forgotten about, or a chocolate stuffed in a drawer three days ago lasts a lot longer than you'd think (assuming that you got the correct mindset).

And that's the biggest part of yesterday. I didn't blog then because I didn't have the time (and I also felt like relaxing), but I guess this clears a bit up what I spent the day on. While ordering an ocarina online wasn't a thing I spent so much time thinking about, I feel like I made the right choice in ordering it, and I'm glad that I did what I did.



 ---



Bonus info: I actually didn't order the ocarina. Well, It is ordered, but it wasn't really I who ordered it, even though I claim so in the text. I asked my mom to order it for me. Before you call me a loser, I'd like you to know:
-I'm not 18 yet.
-I can't access my bank account online, since I don't know where my code generator is.
-I don't think my own card is usable online. 
-I barely know how online shopping works.

My mom isn't actually buying it for me, I'm sort of just ''renting'' her card, since I pay back the money it costs. But the point is: I didn't order the ocarina, my mom did.

Thanks, mom!

That last part is sure to get me laid.

No comments:

Post a Comment